Hero Realms Boss Decks
Welcome to Thandar, a place when you can get anything, including killed.
With the Ruin of Thandar campaign deck due out any time now, we turn our attention from the Cult of Ruinos, to the huge dragon that circles the nearby Kamekrian Mountains, or the evil Lich that dwells in the catacombs of the sacred Mound of Fallen Kings.
Let’s talk about them, shall we?
First of all, there’s one huge difference between the Ruin of Thandar campaign and the Boss Decks. You don’t actually need a human to control the Ruin of Thandar, since all of the decision-making is predetermined by the fall of the cards. (Having a human run it is quite fun though, but you don’t need one. You could put a cat there.)
However, you will need a player to control the Dragon and/or Lich, since they will have to make their own decisions, such as: Which player to kill first? When to order the Victory Pizza? These are important questions!
Of course, the Boss has treasure, and the players will risk death (and worse) to get it.
Each Boss deck plays similarly, but also has its own unique rules. The Boss Deck experience requires multiple players. One for the Boss, and at least 3 players to play victi…err…Heroes.
Play flows much like in the Ruin of Thandar. Players will line up around the Boss (positioning counts), and the Boss will take a turn, then each player will take a turn in clockwise order.
But that’s not all! You can also play Boss vs Boss! When a Dragon pokes its head into the lair of a Lich, anything can happen! The rulebooks have specific rules to handle such a terrifying scenario!
While the basic mechanics of the Boss fights are similar, they are very different experiences.
The Dragon Boss Deck
The Dragon Boss Deck contains 30 cards: 18 starting deck cards, 9 Treasure Hoard cards, 2 score cards, and the Dragon boss card.
The Lich Boss Deck
The Lich Boss Deck contains 30 cards: A 10 card starting deck, a 10 card Grimoire, 6 Soul Jar cards, a Corruption card, 2 score cards, and a Lich boss card.
Dragon Boss Deck Rules
The Dragon can be TAUNTED. If a player deals 10 or more damage in a turn, until the end of the Dragon’s turn, the Dragon will focus its attacks on that player (or those players if multiple whelps dare to deal 10 damage). The Taunt mechanic can allow one brave player to take the brunt of the Dragon’s attention while their teammates heal up.
- SKILL CHECKS. To complete a skill check, on your turn, discard any number of cards from your hand with combined cost equal to or greater than the Skill Check number.
- DEFEATED PLAYERS. When the Dragon defeats a player, it steals back any Treasure Hoard cards that player had.
Lich Boss Deck Rules
The Lich on the other hand has all of its health contained in SOUL JARS. The players must destroy all of these in order to defeat the vile creature. Each Soul Jar has its own power that must be overcome.
- CLING TO UNDEATH. When the Lich is down to its final Soul Jar, it gains an extra 30 above what is listed on the Jar. At the start of its turn, if it is down to its final Soul Jar, it performs a Summoning.
- VILE OPPONENT. Party members must make a good faith effort to destroy each Soul Jar. They may not end their turn with combat unspent or cards and ally abilities unplayed simply because they don’t want to destroy the current Soul Jar. Evil must be destroyed as soon as possible! There is no time to lose!
- DISCARDS CAN BE PREVENTED. Whenever an opponent’s effect would cause the Lich to discard a card, the Lich may choose to lose 4 health instead. If the Lich has less than 4 health left on its current Soul Jar, the remaining health is taken from the next Soul Jar. (Note that this loss of health is not prevented by guards.) If the Lich would need to discard a random card, it must decide whether to lose the health instead before determining which card would be discarded.
The Dragon and Lich Boss Decks are a challenging way to play Hero Realms with a bunch of friends. Or destroy a group of friends that you feel needs to start respecting your lust for power.
Good luck in your fight, and you can probably expect more Boss Decks in the future!